Tuesday, March 29, 2022

 

Butterflies and Cardinals

Since my mother died, yellow butterflies were "mom sightings"

With dad, we think cardinals....he used to wear a red jacket and there were a couple of unique cardinal appearances shortly after his death.


The other day I came across something I had written many years ago....has its own different meaning in this different context. (Warning: unpolished "poetry")


I thought I saw a cardinal

And even thinking made me smile

I peered about and scanned the tree

Hopeful–hadn’t seen one in a while


I thought I saw a cardinal

Perched away up in a tree

I stopped, stood still and waited

I did so much want to see


I thought I saw a cardinal

But how could it be true?

I thought I saw a cardinal

And it made me think of you.


I never got another glimpse

So I continued on my way

Thinking of a bright red bird

Carrying a wisp of you away

And a bit of you in my day.


1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Thank you for sharing and remembering our Father. I carry HIM today in this moment.

    ReplyDelete