Sunday, February 15, 2009

Jubilee Witness and Challenge

We are celebrating Jubilees today--Sisters with 60, 65 and 70 years of commitment and service to the mission of Jesus. Some of them I have been privileged to know for many years. (a little rough glimpse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XCMh1TGCsk )

This witness of long service and commitment stands in stark contrast to the apparent superficiality of so much involvement. As I continue to explore "cybermission," it makes me wonder about many things. FaceBook makes it very easy for me to click and join a new cause--that I do believe in (ending child prostitution, peace...) and also easy for me to post my causes (Darfur, AIDS) and hope that others will be influenced.

And clicking I can feel that I am DOING something (rather than NOTHING).

But am I?

Is a click, a post actually transforming relationship and action? Does it create in me a new heart and/or do anything to turn swords into ploughshares? Does it create peace, justice?

Sally McFague speaks of contemplatives in liberation. "The Christian practice of radical love knows no bounds: it does not stop at any border, even the human one."

Our amazing Sisters have crossed so many boundaries to make God's love visible. Their lives truly witness to Christ in whom all is redeemed and made one.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the utube vidoe of the celebration. You are amazing with your clicking ability to links and create utubes and all of the clicking. Knowing you causes e.g., AIDS and DAFUR, enables some of us to recognize what we need to do. Your clicking is doing.

    ReplyDelete